Chicken & Mushroom Tagine
Cooking: 50 minutes
800g skinless chicken lovely legs or cutlets, trimmed
3 tbs Morrocan spice mix (see note)
2 tbs olive oil
1 brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
400g button mushrooms, sliced
1 lemon, halved, thinly sliced
100g green olives, pitted
375ml reduced-salt chicken stock
3 tbs flaked almonds, toasted
Couscous, to serve
- Place the chicken into a large snap-lock bag. Add half the spice mix and shake until chicken is well coated. Remove chicken and any spice in the bag to a plate and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat a deep large frying pan over high heat until hot. Add half the oil to the hot pan and cook the chicken, in batches, for 2-3 minutes each side or until light golden. Remove to plate.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the remaining oil with onion, garlic and remaining spice mix, cook, stirring often for 3 minutes until onion has softened. Add the mushrooms, cook, shaking the pan occasionally for 5 minutes until mushrooms are just tender.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the lemon, olives and 250ml of stock to pan, cover and cook over medium heat for 25-30 minutes, adding more stock if required or until chicken is cooked through.
- Scatter over the almonds and serve with couscous.
Note: Morrocan spice mix or blend is available in the spice section of the supermarket.